This week, Cari and Kelsae discuss substance abuse, addiction, and guidelines for healthy use of substances. Cari used to work in substance abuse, so she shares her knowledge, and Cari and Kelsae each discuss their experiences with substances after leaving Mormonism. There are so many misconceptions about addiction in society and especially among Mormons. You won’t become an alcoholic if you taste your first Mike’s Hard Lemonade. We promise.
Important terms from the episode:
- Addiction: The inability to stop using a substance despite extreme negative consequences (requires rewarding and reinforcing stimuli).
- Substance abuse: Using substances to cope with emotions or in large amounts.
- Physical dependence: The state of requiring a substance to function “normally” without experiencing symptoms of withdrawal.
- Tolerance: Requiring more of a substance to achieve the same or similar results.
- Rewarding stimuli: Something that’s inherently rewarding and makes your brain feel good (ex: a substance fills your brain with dopamine).
- Reinforcing stimuli: When the behaviors you engage with while using a substance are reinforced because the substance impacts your brain in a way that your brain believes you need to continue those behaviors.
Opening thought by Andrea Gibson
Closing thought by Dr. Kristen Neff
- Podcast episode on epigenetics: Inheritance (RadioLab.org)
- TEDx Talk: Epigenetics and the influence of our genes by Courtney Griffins (YouTube)
- Mice resist cocaine if they have stuff to do (Futurity.org)
Support The Show
Love what we do and want to help support the show? You can join our super exclusive CLUB FUCK PACKER on Patreon by pledging $1+/mo. Our current goal is $50/mo, to cover our podcast and website hosting fees.
You can also send a one-time donation via PayPal. Every dollar helps us keep the show going.