This week, Cari and Kelsae discuss the Dan Reynolds documentary Believer, which was made available on HBO this week. Lots of people have been lauding it, but (spoiler alert which should surprise no one) Cari and Kelsae think it has a lot of shortcomings to say the least. There's a lot of anger, a lot of swearing, and a lot of Imagine Dragons songs unfortunately now stuck in our heads. This documentary is NOT about queer people or the youth suicide epidemic in Utah or the Mormon church's anti-gay policies. It is about Dan Reynolds deciding that gay people are people. Let's be real. CONTENT WARNING: Discussion of suicide throughout.
Opening thought by Kaveh Akbar
Closing thought by Carrie Fisher
- Episode 23: Cultural humility and being an ally in the ex-Mormon community (NMKMH)
- Book: No More Goodbyes by Carol Lynn Pearson (carollynnpearson.com)
- Article: Electroshock therapy at BYU (MormonThink)
- Video: THE REGURGITATOR (YouTube)
- ADORABLE ANIMAL VIDEOS: Odd Mann Inn (Instagram)
- Extra tithing money? Support a kick-ass animal rescue, Odd Man Inn (Patreon)
Support The Show
Love what we do and want to help support the show? You can join our super exclusive CLUB FUCK PACKER on Patreon by pledging $1+/mo. Our current goal is $75/mo, to cover our podcast and website hosting fees, and a P.O. Box for super official podcast business.
You can also send a one-time donation via PayPal. Every dollar helps us keep the show going.